Tuesday, April 10, 2012
Amira's Strawberry/Nutella Swirl Scones
Here is a twist on the traditional scones with jam and cream. Enjoy with lots of kids and great now to have during school holidays. You can serve these just dusted with icing sugar or with a dollop of cream.
4 cups self-raising flour
2 tab castor sugar
150g cold unsalted butter, cut into small chunks
1 ¾ cups milk (may need a little more)
Enough strawberry jam or any other jam you prefer OR Nutella to use for filling
1. Preheat your oven to 200oC. Place baking paper onto large round baking pan.
2. Put the flour and sugar into a food processor and whiz them together to combine. Add the butter and process the mixture until it resembles fine breadcrumbs, then tip it into a bowl. (you can also do this by hand in a large bowl. Simply rub the butter chunks into the flour mixture with your fingertips.) Pour in the milk and mix it in lightly, cutting through it with a knife until it comes together. Do not overmix. Divide the mixture into 2.
3. Put one half onto a floured plastic dough sheet and roll out with a rolling pin, adding more flour to the dough and rolling pin to avoid it sticking. Roll out into a large disk until 2mm thick or approx 45cm wide all around. Transfer this large flat piece of dough onto a large baking pan and set aside. (You can do this by rolling the dough around the rolling pin and then unrolling it flat again.)
4. Repeat the process with the other half of the dough but leave it flat on the plastic dough sheet. Press the jam of your choice or the chocolate Nutella thinly onto this round disk of dough and then place the over round disk of dough on top, making it into a big sandwich. Using the rolling pin, lightly roll to press the two together enclosing the jam or Nutella.
5. From the longest end, roll the disk tightly into a swiss roll and then cut swirls about 5 cms along. Place onto lined baking pan, cut side up and about 5mm apart. Bake in moderate oven 200oC for 20 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and let it sit for 10 minutes before sprinkling with icing sugar.
Serve just as it is or with whipped cream.
YUMMY YUM - ENJOY