A lovely alternative to the apple pie using cake as a base and topped with almonds. A photo will follow soon ! (makes 12 small muffin size logs, can also be made into a cake)
2 cups self raising flour, sifted
1 cup sugar
1 cup coconut
1 lemon, zest only
1 teas bicard soda
4 eggs, lightly beaten
¾ cup vegi oil
75g unsalted butter
45g caster sugar
1 ½ teas vanilla essence
185g flaked almonds
3 tab milk
770g can of pie apples
1. Mix dry ingredients in bowl.
2. Beat eggs and oil together in another bowl.
3. Pour egg and oil mixture to dry ingredients.
4. Stir lightly and thoroughly together with wooden spoon – do not overmix or use electric beaters or cake will be tough.
5. Place ¾ of mixture in a bowl and use this to divide amongst 12 small logs.
6. Place apples in a large bowl and using a potato masher to mash.
7. Divide apples amongst the logs, top with the rest of the cake mixture, top with almond mixture.
8. Bake at 180oC – 40 minutes.
Almond Topping Method:
Place all ingredients in a medium size saucepan and stir over heat until butter has melted and sugar dissolved. Stir all together until combined.