I made these tonight, my mum taught me, she's an amazing cook, confident, fast and a **mashi halec** cook but everything still turns out right, just perfect !
If you understand Arabic you'll know what ** means and if not you can ask me :]
2 bunches of fresh spinach or 1 large bunch silverbeet
1 onion, finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tab olive oil
200g fetta cheese, Australian
100g fresh ricotta
3 eggs, beaten
2 tab of both fresh mint and parsley, finely chopped
Freshly ground pepper
1 pkt/375g filo pastry
½ cup oil, extra, and more if needed
1. First wash the spinach as follows: fill the sink with cold water from the tap and as you chop the spinach put into the sink to wash. Discard the thick white steams. As you remove the washed leaves place in a large bowl.
2. In a large saucepan, fry onion in olive oil until soft, add garlic and continue to fry being careful not to burn the garlic.
3. Once onion mixture is ready add the washed spinach and stir to combine. Place lid on the saucepan and cook over medium heat until spinach is wilted, pressing down with a fork and stirring to combine. Continue to cook until all the water is absorbed and the mixture slightly dry.
4. Once spinach is completely cooked removed the spinach with tongs and place into a large bowl. Allow to cool completely.
5. Once the spinach is cooled, add the crumbled fetta, ricotta, eggs, mint and parsley and pepper. Mix with a fork until combined well, pressing the fetta and ricotta against the sides of the bowl to squash.
6. Preheat oven to 180oC (170oC fan forced). Remove pastry from the packet and cut in half (from the short side to the other short side). Take one half of the sheet and brush with extra oil. With the longest side nearest you fold over ¾ of the way and then fold over the other ¼ against the ¾.
7. Add 1 tablespoon of the mixture along the shortest end nearest you and fold over the triangle, folding a triangle against another until the end of the strip of pastry. Continue with all of the pastry and filling until all finished.
8. Place on a baking tray and brush the tops of all the pastry with olive oil.
9. Bake in oven for ½ hour or until browned on top.
- Minced meat cooked with onion and garlic to which cooked veggies of your choice has been added.
- Omit the spinach, onion, garlic, mint and parsley and pepper and then you can make fetta and ricotta triangles.