Tuesday, June 22, 2010
Amira's Carrot & Orange Cake
With oranges a plentiful this time round I thought what better way to put a different twist on the traditional carrot cake. If you love the taste of orange cake and carrot cake alone this combination tastes so yummy together. With the addition of walnuts, almond meal and cinnamon, you'll be asking for another slice. A dusting of icing sugar completes the cake. ENJOY !
Makes 2 loaves or 1 large Bundt cake
2/3 cup vegi oil
Juice and rind of 1 orange
1½ cups brown sugar
3 cups grated carrot
2 cups self raising flour, sifted
½ cup almond meal
¾ cup chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Set oven at 180oC
2. Combine together oil, eggs, sugar, juice and rind of orange.
3. Add all other ingredients and mix well
4. Line 2 pans measuring 12.5cm x 11cm with baking paper and spray sides of pans with oil. Or use a large bundt pan sprayed with oil (pan with hole in the middle).
5. Pour into prepared pan/s and bake at 180oC for 40 minutes or until cooked.
6. When cooked let sit for 5 minutes before removing from pans and allowing to cool on cake rack.
7. When cool dust with icing sugar and serve.
Yummy yum !!
Note: You can half the recipe to make just one small 21.5cm x 11cm loaf cake.