Wednesday, September 29, 2010
Amira's Carrot Cake (updated 8/11/11)
A quick, simple and delicious carrot cake for lunchboxes and the like. I made this today as we were all hanging out for a homebaked cake and what better one than carrot cake, another one of Nando's favourite. You might like to ice the cake with lemon cream cheese "Philly" icing, so so yummy as you can see in the photo. ENJOY.
Makes a small loaf cake 11cm x 21cm
or double the recipe for a 20cm cake with cream cheese topping
1/3 cup sunflower oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups grated carrot (about 1 1/2 carrots)
1 cup self raising flour, sifted
1/2 teas bicarbonate soda
½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
¼ cup sultanas (optional)
a small shake of cinnamon
½ teaspoon vanilla essence
1. Set oven at 180oC
2. Combine together oil, eggs, sugar, whisk with a balloon whisk
3. Add all other ingredients and mix well, do not over mix
4. Pour into greased loaf pan and bake at 180oC for 40 mins or until cooked.
5. When cooked let sit for 5 minutes before removing from pans and allowing to cool on cake rack.
6. When cool dust with icing sugar and serve.
125g Philadelphia cheese, softened
1 ½ cups icing sugar
Sprinkle cinnamon for topping
Beat Philadelphia cheese until soft and creamy, add margarine and beat again. Sift icing sugar into cheese mixture and beat on low speed, add lemon juice to taste and desired consistency. Spread on top of cake and sprinkle with cinnamon.