Tuesday, November 2, 2010
Marsala and Almond Biscuits
Here are very different flavoured biscuits that send you to Italy and back. Made with an Italian wine "Marsala" and slivered almonds creates the perfect combination for that time with a cuppa. I lightly dusted the biscuits with icing sugar but they are just as sweet without. Hope you enjoy them.
250g unsalted butter, softened
1 cup caster sugar
1 cup Marsala (wine)
200g slivered almonds
6 cups self raising flour
2 cups (approx) icing sugar (mixture)
1. Preheat oven at 180oC (170oC fan-forced). Line 3 oven trays with baking paper and set aside.
2. Cream butter with electric beaters until smooth. Add caster sugar and continue to beat until well combined.
3. Beat in eggs into butter mixture one at a time until well combined.
4. Add 3 cups self raising flour, stir with a wooden spoon to incorporate slightly and then add ½ cup marsala, stir again to combine.
5. Add the other 3 cups of self raising flour, stir with a wooden spoon to incorporate slightly and then add the other ½ cup of marsala, stir again to incorporate well.
6. With your hands shape mixture into small balls (size of a walnut), cover the balls with the icing sugar and continue to roll the icing sugar around the balls with the palm of your hands. Place a few centimeters apart on the baking trays.
7. Lightly press each ball with the back of a fork to flatten slightly.
8. Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
9. Remove from oven and immediately sift icing sugar all over the biscuits. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before placing each biscuit on a wire rack to cool.