Monday, October 11, 2010
Amira's Flourless Whole Orange Cake (Gluten Free)
Here is an orange cake with a difference, made with a whole orange, skin and all! No need to boil the orange or use the zest and juice alone, just cut it up, remove the pips and wizz in the food processor, how easy is that. And better still no butter or oil is used because the orange provides enough juice/moisture. This cake can be enjoyed by all (except those that have a nut allergy) and provide another alternative to wheat as it's made with almond meal.
1 large orange (approx 230g)
1 cup sugar
2 cups almond meal
1 teas baking powder
Icing sugar to serve
1. Preheat oven at 180oC (170oC fan forced). Bottom line a 22 cm springform pan with baking paper, grease the sides with cooking spray.
2. Cut the unpeeled orange into segments, remove any pips and place in a food processor. Process until finely chopped.
3. Add eggs and process again.
4. Pour the orange mixture into a large bowl, add sugar and almonds and baking powder. Stir with a rubber spatula until combined.
5. Pour mixture into pan and bake for 50 minutes.
6. Allow to cool in pan before removing. Dust with icing sugar to serve.